Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Pure Barre Experience


from the Pure Barre Facebook page

For several years I have been reading about Barre classes. I read about people taking these classes and having amazing results. So of course I wanted to take a class. I wanted to have amazing results too! When I first started looking around my area I couldn't find anything like it. Then one day in the fall I saw where a friend had liked a Barre studio page on Facebook. So I looked at that page and it was Pure Barre Asheville. I knew I wanted to try it out. I found out that one of my friends was taking classes so I started stalking texting her constantly. I asked her so many questions and she was so sweet to answer all my silly questions. I also found out that one of the girls at the Lilly store was an instructor. So I began talking to her about the classes. I probably talked to these girls for a month or two before I took the plunge!

I decided to take my first class during Christmas break. I had heard I would be so sore and I thought it might be a good idea to do it when I could just chill at home if I needed to.

I signed up online and went to my first class. I didn't have any idea what to expect. I was nervous the whole ride over! My social anxiety was taking over too...new things and places have a tendency to give me slight anxiety. I didn't want to stand out by what I was wearing or my lack of Pure Barre experience.  I had read a blog about what to expect at your first Barre class and it said to remember that everyone was a beginner at some point. That helped me some!

When I walked in the Asheville studio I was greeted by the teacher, Flavia. She was so nice and instantly made me feel at ease. Flavia showed me around the studio and explained to me what I needed for the class. I got my tube, weights, and ball and found a spot in the room. Thankfully the class was smaller that day.


The class was very fast paced. We started with a warm up and quickly moved into working out the upper body to sculpt arms. (I used 2 pound weights!)  After arms we moved to the barre to work our thighs. I began to shake immediately which they told me was a good thing! When we finished our thigh work we stretched those muscles. After thigh work was seat work and more shaking! We stretched those muscles after we worked them. Core was next. This was probably the hardest part of the class for me to catch on to. I really had to think about this part and I had to get some one on one instruction after class! The last part of class was the cool down. I couldn't believe it was over. The class went by so fast!


I felt so good after this work out. I was hooked. I signed up for the new client special and for the 20 classes in 30 days New Year challenge. 
 
During the challenge I got a sticker for every class I attended. I got very excited when I got to add a sticker beside my name! I guess the visual was very motivating to me. 
 
 
This past Saturday I completed the 20 classes in 30 days challenge! I am so happy that I was able to do this. We have had snow days and bad weather which kept me from going on some days but I was able to complete the challenge. Yay me! I didn't measure myself before I started so I can't tell how many inches I might have lost but I can tell it is making a difference. I feel stronger and I am enjoying myself which I think is very important.

One of my favorite things about Pure Barre is that the instructors really care about your form.  They walk around and correct you when you are not in the correct position. The small adjustments make a huge difference. The instructors also give you feedback and praise throughout the entire class. I love the feedback and praise. I guess that is the teacher in me or my need to be a teacher's pet!  

I have loved every minute I have spent at Pure Barre working out. It challenges me on a whole new level. I know that all the anxiety I had before I went was built up in my head. The Barre community is very encouraging and friendly. I have become addicted to Pure Barre. I love the instructors. I love the work out. I love the community. I love it all! I look forward to going to the Barre every chance I get!

And one more picture...it's just too cute not to share! 


xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So proud of you hitting the 20 in 30 goal! So good to see you today. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Lindsay! Thank you for always pushing me in class. I look forward to many more classes with you! xoxo

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! xoxo, aunt moe