Thursday, March 6, 2014

Enchanted 10K

 Last year I decided I wanted to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I was so excited to train and prepare for the Princess run. But in August my hip decided to not cooperate. I couldn't run without pain and I couldn't walk without a limp for days after a run. Then my dad was in his terrible car accident and all running came to a complete stop for me. So after 3 months of rest I thought I was healed. I started to run again and the hip pain came back. I went to the doctor and didn't get any real answers. (I am still waiting for some answers!) I did start physical therapy and that has helped some but running still hurts! After all this pain I knew it would be stupid to try to do the half marathon so I made the decision to do the new 10K of the Princess weekend. I say all this because I went into this 10K without any training! I have never ran more than 5 miles at one time and that was last June! I was extremely nervous for this race. I didn't know how my hip would do and I didn't know if I had the stamina to do 6.2 miles.

This is my recap and my thoughts on my first Run Disney race. 

This is right after I crossed the finish line and I saw my mom! I think I am half laughing and half crying




Our wake up time!


My best friend Jennifer signed up for this race with me. She is not a runner so I was so surprised and happy that she decided to run this race. This was Jennifer's first race ever! 


We waited at our hotel for 30 minutes to get a bus to Epcot for the start of the race. Finally at 4:00 am we were on the bus and ready to go. 


We had to walk a while to get to the starting line and our corrals. It was hard to believe that we were there and getting ready to run a race. 




Our first stop was the porta potties. yuck! The lines were so long.


We decided to go get in our corrals so we could wait. Jennifer was in corral E and I was in corral D.  I sat down to rest my legs. I checked my heart rate during the wait and it was 98! I was nervous. 


Finally it was time for my corral to start. I was in corral D and as we started they played "Who let the Dogs Out!" I have to say the start of this race was more fun than any other races I have started. Disney shot off fireworks when each corral started. 


Within in half a mile I saw Queen Elsa on an overpass. This was so cool! As we ran under Elsa it was snowing and she was talking to us. She was asking if we wanted to run in snow! As soon as we passed under the bridge there were speakers playing "Let it Go." This was definitely one of the best parts of the race.


I passed mile one and my time was about 12:09. I started at 6:00 instead of 5:30 so I was 30 minutes behind the clock time.

My hip was not hurting and I was feeling good! I wasn't running really fast and I was okay with that. My goal was to have fun and finish!


Mile 2. This is where my hip decided to hurt. But I still was running about a 12 minute mile. At this point in the race I needed to find a bathroom. I had to wait in another porta potty line! crazy! 


Mile 3
 I knew I was half way and getting so close to Epcot. The race course took us on back roads into Epcot. It was neat to see behind the scenes of a Disney park. My hip was hurting more but I kept on running. I was getting slower at each mile.


This was my view when I ran into Epcot. The big torches were so beautiful and made Epcot seem magical. It kind of made Epcot gain a few points in my book. (Epcot is not my favorite Disney park.)

The course went through the world showcase at Epcot and then around the Boardwalk hotel and Beach and Yacht Club hotel. I am not sure why I don't have any pictures from this part of the race. Probably because I was in pain and just praying that I would finish. I ran and walked most of the race up to mile 5. At mile 5 I decided to walk till I got to mile 6. I really wanted to run across the finish line. 

Disney has characters out on the race course. But the lines were long to have your picture made with them. I knew I wanted to have fun on this race but I think I was being a little competitive in my mind. I knew stopping and waiting for pictures would make my time slower! I have also learned that stopping with my hip kind of makes it hurt more (maybe that is in my mind too).

When I crossed the finish line the announcer said my name!  It was so surreal to hear my name being called out at Disney! I had told my family before the race that I was sure I would cry as I crossed the finish line. Simply because I had accomplished a goal and partly because I knew I would be in pain. I really tried to hold it together but I did cry crossing that line!

My official time was 1:20:08.


The finish line. My mom took this picture from where she was standing.


After I crossed the finish line I heard people shouting my name. I spotted my mom and friends. I was so happy to see them!  I am doing my princess wave to my fans! Ha!*

I got my medal and began to make my way to my mom because I knew Jennifer was right behind me.


It was official. I had the bling and I was done!


A picture with the finish line and Epcot ball in the background. 


My sweet friends Brooke and Jillian came with my mom to watch me finish. They were running the half the next day so I was happy and honored that they came to watch me. Getting up early is not easy when you know you have a 2:15 wake up call the next day!

As we were waiting for Jennifer, Brooke showed me a hip stretch. I was in pain so I decided it was worth a shot.

Jennifer was texting me every time she crossed a mile. I knew she was getting closer so we waited to hear her name called out. We cheered when we heard her name being called out!

Right after she crossed the finish line!*
I was so happy for her! And guess what? I cried when she crossed the finish line too! This was a big accomplishment for Jennifer. She was so worried she might be swept and have to ride the bus of shame. (Disney requires you to maintain a 16 minute mile at their races.)

*A special thanks to Josh at JAWs Photography . He took the starred pictures of Jennifer and me at the race! 

Two happy girls

Before I left for Disney I would say I was just doing a 10K.  I didn't feel like it was as impressive as the half marathon. But I have learned to be proud of my "just a 10K".  It was hard work for this girl who is pretending to be a runner. I know that I probably don't have the best form and I am clueless about distance running but I gave it a try. My original goal was modified but I did it. I ran a Princess Race at Disney and I think that is pretty awesome!

I have said that I was hanging up my running shoes after this race because of my hip pain but I think I might have to continue. I still want to do the Princess Half Marathon! I want to run through Cinderella's Castle just one time in my life! After all I am 99.9% sure I am a Disney Princess! 

xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! xoxo, aunt moe